New dates coming soon
This course is designed to upskill practitioners in both the art and the science of valuation.
- Fundamentals of technology and business valuation
- Valuation methods
- The market approach
- Practical valuation via the market approach
- The income approach
- Using valuation methods to structure financial terms
- Valuing spin-out companies
- Valuation’s role in negotiation
- Valuation case studies
Accreditation and Certification
This course is accredited by the Alliance of Technology Transfer Professionals (ATTP) to provide 15 Continuing Education points which can be used when applying for professional recognition as a Registered Technology Transfer Professional (RTTP).
The attendance fee is £795 per participant. Advance payment is required, to pay please register your details using the form at the bottom of the page and select the BACS/transfer or online payment option.
Places are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- 15 hours of practical teaching across two days
- Access to slides and reference materials (electronic or otherwise)
- An Oxentia certificate of completion
- 15 Continuing Education points accredited by the Alliance of Technology Transfer Professionals (ATTP)
- Morning and afternoon refreshments + a full lunch is provided each day.
Agenda: Day 1
Arrival and refreshments
Introductions to your trainers, fellow delegates and a brief overview of the next two days.
Fundamentals of technology and business valuation
- The difficult and uncertain process of valuing IP and why it is important
- Different valuation techniques
Understand the importance of valuation of new technologies and companies
Develop skills in identifying and utilizing the most appropriate valuation techniques
Valuation methods: Market approach – Part 1
- What is the market approach
- When is it appropriate to use it?
- Example of market approach as used for a life sciences technology
- Appreciate the challenges of using the market approach
- Find useful tools to employ when using the market approach
Practical exercise: Using the market approach to value a technology
Gain practical experience of deploying the market approach to valuation
Lunch and refreshments are provided
Valuation methods: Income approach
- An overview of the income approach to valuation
- Important factors to consider when using the income approach
- How different stakeholders view the usefulness of this method
- Understand of the discounted cash flow method and net present value calculations
- Learn to account for risk factors that influence IP valuation
- Understand relevant cash flows and discounting considerations
Practical Exercise: using the income approach to value a technology
Gain practical experience of deploying the income approach to valuation
A quick recap and discussion of the days key learning outcomes.
Agenda: Day 2
Welcome and refreshments
Valuation methods: Market approach – Part 2
- Technology valuation and licensing
- Using the Income approach to structure a licence deal
- Understand the typical payment terms and how to formulate a licence deal (front loading, backloading, etc.)
Practical Exercise: Applying different valuation methods and structuring financial terms.
Audience split into two camps: TTO (licensor) Vs company (licensee):
1. Determine the value of tech.
2. Licensee – using an income approach.
3. Licensor – using a market approach.
4. Negotiate to agree on financial terms.
Valuation for spin-out companies
- Pre-money valuation
- Valuation from venture capital perspective
- Company exits
- Understand the approach taken by investors
Lunch and refreshments are provided
Session 9: practical exercise in valuation and negotiation
- Team 1 and 2 are TTOs, one of which represents the software technology and the other which supports the hardware technology
- Team 3 is a spin-out company looking to license both pieces of IP into one product that will be their core offering to customers
- Team 4 is a venture capitalist who is looking to acquire equity in the spin-out company
Case study – Integral Vision
An in depth look at Integral Vision
A recap and discussion of the days key learning outcomes, and presentation of course completion certificates.